A Quilting Beginner

Tilda Quilt Collection

The Daisyfield fabric (photo above) is a print I will also use for a blouse or tunic contrast lining at the neckline, hems, and possible cuffs. Same fabric facing is nice, but a contrast fabric adds a finished look flair.

The majority of the fabric will be used in a quilt. Two of my favorite Create channel shows are about quilting. Many of the blogs I read are authored by quilters. It makes sense to explore that very creative area of sewing. Who knows, I could end up with a quilted summer jacket.

Last night I unfolded the tunic pattern. The next step is to measure the fit. Many sewing patterns I have are decades old, bought new and at thrift and yard sales. A measure fitting is a must as with age, one can add a few pounds. 

Also, the neckline is not the style I want. Using pattern tissue, freezer or parchment paper, I can create a different neckline. Garment before quilt eliminates not having the fabric pattern pieces will fit on.

Now, after thinking about it, I'm not sure what fabric to use, old or new.  

Comments

  1. Do you read Carole's "From my Carolina Home" blog? She often does quilt-alongs and tutorials. I like this fabric. Sewing is so out of my wheelhouse but I do love quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet fabric. I have been contemplating doing some simple quilting. So many other things I feel I should take care of first, I keep telling myself. I'll enjoy watching whatever you create and share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jeanie
    I will check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becki,
    It will be longer than planned to start a quilt as I found too many unfinished projects to finish first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how nice... here is someone who sews clothes for himself and dreams of quilting... I knitted for a few years - everything from gloves and hats to sweaters and dresses - then I got into sewing... tiny little bags to bigger bags and now to clothes for me :-))) oh how nice it is to sew something for yourself... have fun with your beautiful flowery fabric... Hugs from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the simple print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely, lovely fabric. How did you get on?
    Thanks for visiting my little blog which I have confined to just campervan stuff. Which means you cannot know I have been quilting for decades . . . love to see what others makes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are a blogging bonus! Cordial comments are welcome, and will be posted after approval to make sure not spam gets through. Thank you for your understanding.